Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

...and damned if you don't.

People are interesting. And I am finding it interesting that people are being polarized by my upcoming film "Doonby." Especially since they have yet to see it. Do you think it is by design that marketers get people in a lather about films before they come out? Do you think it's fair? I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Hard to say because I am so close to the film and want it to open well in Dallas next weekend so that it can be on 1000 screens this summer.
The film has an interesting perspective and it is approached in a way I haven't seen before... truly.
Daring I like daring.
Maybe people are, by nature, oppositional. Maybe it's intellectual sparring. Maybe some folks are just contrary.
I've been accused of that, and rightfully so, on many occasions.
I like debate. Use to love appearing on "Politically Incorrect." LOVED it!
By the way... the "polarization" is that one side says it can't be faith based because I work in a bar ad there is drinking... and the other side says that it is intolerant of choice because it offers a perspective on an ongoing political and personal issue that doesn't fit with the liberal perspective.
A case of "Damned if you do and damned if you don't" if you ask me.
What do you think? Should filmmakers be able to offer up a different perspective for people to ponder or should they stick to the main stream beliefs in order to make a buck?
A teacher frien of mine from Berkley once said "Answers are easy. A dime a dozen, really. Everyone has an answer to just about everything. It's the formulation of a really good QUESTIOM that's tough. Good questions are what change the world."
I agree. So...
Here's a question of mine that often gets me in trouble. I think it's a god question, really. Goes like this:
If wine and alchol is bad for us and basically evil in nature...
Why didn't Jesus turn excellent wine into pure water instead of the other way around?
Yup... I can tell that I'm in trouble all over again for that one.

8 comments:

  1. I do not see it as a question that would get you in trouble. You are allowed to have your own way of seeing things after all your are an individual. Just because you are a celebrity doesn't mean that gets taken away from you. If anything, your opinions and thoughts are more important because you have the power to bring to light issues that are close to your heart and educate folks. I think you are correct. People are just contrary and they love to, in a sense, tear down anything with a good message or a moral of the story type thing. I do think filmmakers should be able to take a risk and go off the beaten path and offer up something that will make people rethink their positions or way of thinking. I believe people today are way too over critical of certin things. Just because people, whether it filmmakers or regular people, think outside of the box doesn't mean their way is wrong it just means that it is different and it is something that would need to be examined and analyzed. If you agree with whomever is doing it great if not, I believe, you move on to something else. And that is just my humble opinions but then again I have always been told opinions are like rear ends that everyone has one :-) Anywho, I think Doonby will be great and I say bomp anyone who doesn't think so lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically I agree with Laura.
    But I would like to add that filmmakers should also hope to be so lucky to encounter a very peculiar audience which can listen and watch a movie without being too influenced by its own politics or religion. That way the said audience will be able to discover,judge and appreciate a movie(and its occasional message) by its own feelings rather than by something else. Unfortunately,I find this conditions are very hard to find nowadays.
    However,Doonby may be the movie which can be able to make people ask themselves the good questions so let's give a chance to the audience to prove itself worth of the filmmakers work again. After all that is the world where some people happen to change their minds like they change their clothes so everything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my thought is since it is your movie you can do whatever you want with it. I'm sure if the people making comments on it made the movie they would do what they wanted without caring what other people thought of how it should be made & you are a great actor and any movie you've done has been VERY good. Sure some of your movies are quite a bit different than some of us expect, but isn't it good to get us all thinking of where things in the movies are going and what they are suppose to mean? I say it's always good to make us think and wonder what might happen next in a movie.

    As far as the alcohol goes hasn't it always been in movies and TV. Now I'm not sure if this is making sense since I've had to learn a lot on my own & so sometimes when I try to word things so that it's easy for others to understand what I mean sometimes people are still confused by what I mean so I always hope it just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that there are film makers who dare to go outside the box. We need to be challenged. The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same & were like cattle - following in a line, following the leader. There are going to be people who's minds are closed to anything that challenges their way of thinking. Then there are those of us who have open minds & are open to new ways of thinking & ideology. We can make the choice to either say 'yes I can see that point' or we can say 'I'll agree to disagree'.
    As for the alcohol, yes, Jesus did turn water into wine, so it can't be evil. The evil happens when people abuse the alcohol, & therefore themselves.
    I can't wait to see Doonby, but I will have to wait until it is released on DVD - well, hoping it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've always wondered about that question to John. Maybe back in Jesus' time wine was good for you and water wasn't lol. I've seen the trailer online for Doonby and i hope it comes to Canada or that it is in theaters in September so when i am in Michigan i can maybe see it in Saginaw. film makers who write movies outside the box and actors who do those movies sometimes puts them into characters we have not seen them in before which i think is a good thing. if that makes sense to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding wine and its inherent evils, who better to ask than Jonathan Kent of Goose Ridge Winery:

    http://www.localwineevents.com/events/detail/360565/

    Pretty hilarious that there's a Jonathan Kent that can answer all of the questions regarding the evils of wine?

    Seriously, wine is only as evil as the person that imbibes it. It's a total joke that people forget that Jesus was a Jew and Jews imbibe alcohol unlike some of the blind sects of Christianity that project their worst fears of evil on alcohol. So God drank alcohol period. Of course religion is a great gig. Be a pastor of a large Baptist church and you can guarantee you will be making close to 200k a year. I missed my calling.

    Good luck on Doonby John. I think I read that you invested big time into it so the best of success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how about sustenance...that would be a good reason to turn water into wine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesus also didn't say not to drink wine or alcohol....He said don't "tarry long" at it! I believe that means in moderation

    ReplyDelete